U.S. Bank Stadium Becomes the First Professional Sports Stadium to Earn LEED Platinum Using the Arc Performance Platform
Thursday | Aug. 8, 2019
MINNEAPOLIS – Just following its three-year anniversary, U.S. Bank Stadium has been designated as the first professional sports stadium to achieve LEED Platinum certification using the Arc performance platform. The stadium earned the designation using the Building Operations and Maintenance (O+M) rating system for existing buildings. LEED Platinum is the highest rating level offered through the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) program, created by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC). This prestigious recognition signifies achievements in sustainability for the ongoing, daily operations of U.S. Bank Stadium.
“Being the first professional sports stadium to receive LEED Platinum certification using Arc speaks to the importance that our stadium partners put on creating a sustainable, environmentally-friendly operation at U.S. Bank Stadium,” said Michael Vekich, Chair of the Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority. “As stewards of this facility, it is our responsibility to be on the forefront of sustainable operations. In order to achieve our goals, we have educated our staff and clients, developed sustainable processes and procedures, and invested in state-of-the-art infrastructure for our stadium.”
The recent Platinum certification is the second LEED designation for this facility. In 2017, U.S. Bank Stadium was certified LEED Gold for Building Design and Construction (BD+C).
“Sports bring people and communities together, and U.S. Bank Stadium is a space that not only unifies Vikings fans, but provides a healthy, green and high performing building for all to enjoy,” said Mahesh Ramanujam, president and CEO of USGBC. “The Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority, SMG, Minnesota Vikings, Aramark and all stadium partners understand the value of LEED and have exemplified extraordinary leadership in reshaping their community.”
The LEED Platinum achievement for Operations and Maintenance is scored on the Arc performance platform, measuring several sectors of environmental practices including water reduction, waste diversion/reduction, energy efficiency and the promotion of alternative transportation. Through its three-year history, U.S. Bank Stadium has:
- Successfully operated a “Zero Waste” Super Bowl in 2018 with 91 percent of waste diverted from landfill
- Become the first stadium to receive a Bike Friendly Business certification, supplying over 180 bike racks
- Diverted 1,862,000 pounds of recyclable materials and 950,000 pounds of compost materials from landfill
- Donated 25,000 pounds of food
- Supported environmental education with the addition of sustainability tours through its STEM-focused education tour program for students K-12
- Used renewable energy credits to power the stadium 100% by wind energy
- Maximized the stadium’s eco-friendly design features including the usage of natural daylight and heating/cooling benefits through the ETFE (Ethylene tetrafluoroethylene) roof structure
“The LEED Platinum certification is an achievement that validates the hard work and dedication of our staff and their focus on sustainable efforts,” said Patrick Talty, SMG General Manager at U.S. Bank Stadium. “Together, with stadium partners, clients and guests, we strive to continue to further reduce our carbon footprint and raise the bar for sports and entertainment venues from across the globe.”